Preventing blindness and restoring sight is not only a monumental gift to those whose sight is restored, it is one of the most efficient and effective ways to fight poverty in the developing world.
Seva Canada Society
- Seva’s mission is to restore sight and prevent blindness in the developing world. Seva is in partnership with eye care organizations all over the world.
- Nancy Mortifee is the Chair of Seva Canada.
- This is Seva Canada’s ‘sister’ organization in the United States.
- It was founded five years prior to Seva Canada by Larry Brilliant, Ram Dass, Wavy Gravy and others. It was a follow up effort after they had successfully spearheaded the elimination of Small Pox from the planet.
Aravind Eye Care System
- Based in Tamilnadu India, Aravind is a truly remarkable story about what’s possible in the realm of social enterprise. Aravind is the largest eye care delivery system on the planet, it is self financing and nobody is denied treatment.
Kilimanjaro Centre for Community Ophthalmology (KCCO)
- KCCO is a key African partner of Seva’s.
- They do remarkable work integrating programs, training and research focusing on delivering sustainable and replicable community based eye care services.
Photograph: An extraordinary and spontaneous outpouring of gratitude from a group of rural Cambodians whose bandages had just been removed following sight restoring surgery supported by Seva Canada.