As has been said many times and many ways before, the way a society treats its marginalized members is the true measure of its character.
Pivot Legal Society
- Pivot’s mission is to build a movement for a just society, where dignity, fairness and compassion are firmly rooted in the law.
- Peter Mortifee was the Founding and is the current Chair of the Pivot Foundation.
- We admire their gutsy and compassionate approach to advancing the lives of the most marginalized in our community.
Canadian Centre for International Justice
- CCIJ works with survivors of genocide, torture and other atrocities to seek redress and bring perpetrators to justice. It was founded by Ashoka Fellow Jayne Stoyles.
- Peter Mortifee has been a member of CCIJ’s Social Enterprise Steering Committee. Their work is courageous, determined and seeks justice for all.
- Amnesty International’s vision is for every person to enjoy all the rights enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and other international human rights standards.
West Coast LEAF
- West Coast LEAF, Women’s Legal Education & Action Fund, envisions a society in which women are full participants in all social, economic and political activities. It advances women’s equality through strategic litigation, law reform and education.
Photograph: The World Heritage Site Robben Island near the South African city of Cape Town. Black & white images of political prisoners arriving at this infamous prison are shown on the wall.